Thursday, January 30, 2014

Sometimes Failure is Necessary

Sometimes failure is necessary to succeed.  I learned this lesson early in my aviation career- a lesson which I feel was particularly hard for a perfectionist pilot like myself, but a lesson that I needed.

I always found school and testing to be quite easy when growing up.  I accepted nothing less than an A in junior high and high school, and I was determined to continue my perfect scores when I got to college.  My first year of college was tough, by I managed to get fairly decent grades.  I began my flight training my first semester and looked forward to the days when I could go to my flight lessons.  I had to work hard at flying, but I enjoyed it.  Some people are natural aviators (I realized that as a flight instructor), but I was not.  I had to work at flying the airplane with precision.  But because I enjoyed it so much, it was a challenge I loved!

I passed my first year of college and my private pilot checkride without too much studying.  I was unstoppable- invincible even!  So I decided to take 20 credits and continue with my instrument flight training.

I found a new love when I began that training.  I found the instrument world fascinating (though incredibly difficult to fly without screwing something up).  This training was hard for me, but yet again, I could not fail, so I didn't worry too much.  My decent grades improved and I found it easier to sit and study for hours if I needed to.  I passed my instrument written exam scoring in the 90s.

When the school year came to a close, I found myself needing to take my instrument checkride.  I didn't feel quite ready, but my instructor insured me I was.  We scheduled my checkride, I had a mini heart attack, and then I dug into my books leaving my social life in the dust for a week.  I was nervous the day of my checkride, but I had never failed anything before, and I didn't see why that day would be any different.  I passed the ground with no problems and we were on to the flight.  My heart was pounding, but I tried to tell myself it would be fine.

The flight was going great until the examiner gave me some weird vectors to get us around some snow clouds.  I got a little disoriented, so when he cleared me for the ILS approach I blew right through the final approach course.  I realized it as the needle went full scale.  My heart sank.  I wished we could just redo it right then and there, but I knew that wasn't allowed.  I had failed.  Failed!  What was I going to do now?  I couldn't clear my mind, so we decided to just stop the checkride and finish the rest on a later day.

The examiner and I went back into the building where my friends were waiting to congratulate me.  I may have cried a little bit when I told them I hadn't passed; don't judge, that's just what girls do sometimes.  I tried to be strong, but I had never failed at something before.  I felt like I had hit rock bottom.  I felt like I had disappointed everybody- my friends, my instructor, but most importantly, myself!  I cried for probably 2 days straight, but then got it all out of my system.  I devised a plan- a plan that would allow me to pass every future checkride.  I would not give up!  I would let this situation make me smarter, and stronger, and even more determined.

Failing made me realize how badly I wanted this.  I failed fair-and-square, but I was able to pinpoint a couple things that equated to my failure.

The first was that I lacked the confidence I needed before I took the checkride.  My lack of confidence came because I hadn't performed the maneuvers to PTS standards enough times for it to be consistent.  This made me doubt my ability, which decreased my confidence.  I just figured that a miracle would happen and I would pass, but not so.  I decided that I would not take a checkride again until I felt ready; because with that readiness comes complete confidence in myself and my ability to pass.

The second was the pressure of knowing that everybody knew I was taking my checkride- it was my checkride, not theirs.  So I decided that I would no longer tell people when I had a checkride coming up.  Doing this took the weight off my shoulders and allowed me to focus on just the checkride and not what other people would think of me if I failed.  This took a huge weight off my shoulders!

After my mini realizations, I met with my flight instructor and hashed everything out.  Once I felt 100% with all the maneuvers, I took my chekcride again and told nobody of my ride.  Though the examiner kept saying "you better get this right so I don't have to fail you again," numerous times throughout the checkride, it did not phase me because I had the confidence that I could pass this.  I knew I could fly all the maneuvers even better than the PTS standards.  And I did!

But failing that checkride made me a better pilot.  It made me realize that I needed to be able to fly the maneuvers consistently before being tested.  It made me realize that I needed to be confident.  It made me realize that this was the career I wanted- no matter how difficult, it would be worth it.

Since then, I have passed every checkride, first attempt, including my CFI checkride (which I heard has only a 40%  pass on the first attempt).  Of all my checkrides, my CFI was the most fun.  But it was because I was ready.  I taught a bazillion lesson plans to anybody that would let me practice; I flew with the most intimidating chief pilots and asked for feedback on how to improve; I studied everything from the PTS and then some.  I was determined to be a CFI so I could pass on the determination and motivation I had learned.

I loved flight instructing- I had to to do it for 5 years!  I loved it, not because of the money or the free hours I got, but because I had the ability to give students the same motivation and determination that I had learned.  It was so rewarding to see a student go from the first flight, to soloing, to flying an airplane with precision.  I was probably happier than my students when they passed; that's how nerdy I am.  :)  

And to think, I became a better pilot and flight instructor from failing a checkride.  Maybe sometimes failure really is necessary to succeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment