Monday, December 9, 2013

How to Survive Training at the Airlines

I was a flight instructor at Utah Valley University for 5 years before I decided to go to the airlines.  I was going to be a career flight instructor because I loved it so much, but I couldn't help but feel that there was more I needed to learn and more that I could become.

I researched it out for a few months, spoke with others that worked at the airlines, attended Women in Aviation, decided which airline I wanted to work for, and that I would do whatever it took to get there.

I never really "net-worked" as people call it, but I was friendly to everybody that I met, stayed friends with those that moved on, and made sure I did my best at my job as a flight instructor.  It did not go unnoticed for when I finally decided to go to the airlines, I had people ask me if I needed Letters of Recommendation.  Because of that, days after I applied, I got a call for an interview and was unofficially hired the day of the interview.  I was in ground school just 3 weeks after that.

Somehow my desk always looked liked this only minutes in studying.  :)
Ground school was tough, just like I'd been told.  But I didn't realized how tough it would be.  I had roughly studied some of the material I was given beforehand- I should have had everything memorized!  But I still made it through.

After the first week I was top of the class, scoring higher than everybody else on the daily quizzes and tests.  But that quickly changed when we got to the electrical system.  I'm pretty sure that entire day's lesson went right over my head.  I started stressing and literally got only 3 hours of sleep that night because I kept dreaming of the electrical schematic, which didn't make any sense to me!

I quickly realized that if I didn't calm down, I wasn't going to make it.  If this happens to you, STOP STUDYING.  Not forever, but just for a few hours.  Watch a movie, go for a run, do a little shopping...it doesn't matter what you do, as long as you give your brain a break.  This was my lifesaver.  After class the next day I took a few hours to myself and then went back to the electrical system- and it made total sense!  In fact, it seemed so easy.

The night before the Final Exam, make sure that you stop studying before about 5 pm.  If not, you many end up like me after learning the electrical system with only 3 hours of sleep.  I know of a few people who studied for too long the night before, got themselves all stressed out, and then didn't pass the test EVEN though they knew all the information.  Don't let that be you.  Stop studying the night before and give your brain some time to absorb the information and rest.

I used my "brain-rest" method during the rest of ground school and passed my final test with 94% (higher than some of the pilots who were upgrading to captain in my class).  The few questions I missed were simply because I didn't read the question, not that I didn't know the correct answer.  So make sure you read every question thoroughly before selecting an answer.

After ground class was the FTD and then the Simulator.  As a tip, study only and exactly what they tell you to and you will do just fine.  Just as I needed breaks during ground training I also needed breaks during this phase of training.  I had 2 days off in between Sim sessions once, so I rented a car, bought a few magazines, and spent the day on the beach (my training was in Long Beach).  It was exactly what I needed.

I will admit, learning to fly the this heavy twin turboprop in the Simulator proved to be a challenge for me.  I was used to flying Diamond Aircraft with just a touch of a finger.  So when I hopped in the Sim and tried to fly the same way, I was in for a real treat!  I felt like I was lugging around 500 pounds on the controls- if it isn't trimmed correctly, you will be fighting it.  No joke!  I could have easily given up after the first few days and went back to my easy Diamonds, but I didn't!  I fought for it!  And even though I had to use an extra day of training, I passed.  There is no shame in needing more time (as long as the airline you work for allows it; maybe something to check before you decide which company you want to work for).

After I passed my Sim training, it was on to IOE, Initial Operating Experience.  My first day ended and I wasn't sure what had even happened.  I felt like I knew everything there was to know before IOE, but I was quickly corrected.  Flying the airplane, you have to worry about passengers, REAL emergencies, ATC asking you to speed up- then slow down- now slow and descend while you turn to a heading and begin the approach.  It really is a lot to take in.  But just like before, give your brain a break.

That first night I went out with the crew to Applebees, I think it was, and enjoyed talking about non-aviation topics.  It was a blast!  And I felt so rejuvenated the next morning.  Even though I knew there were things I could have studied that night, having some dinner with the crew was better for me than studying.

I survived my IOE trips, stress free, and have been flying for over a year now.  I absolutely LOVE my job and am so glad I made the careful decision to work for the airlines.  So if you haven't figured it out yet, my tip to surviving training at the airlines is: Give Your Brain a Break.

As always, if you have any questions about the airlines, flight instructing, or aviation in general, you can always email me at trendypilots@gmail.com.

-Julie Hafen
Gold Seal CFI, CFII, MEI, ATP

4 comments:

  1. This is sound advice! I had a very similar experience in ground school for my airline, drinking from a fire hose is an accurate description. Another thing I would suggest is to get into a study group. I learned so much from others in my class and made some great friends too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment. I forgot to add that in, but I completely agree. Study groups make a big difference.

      Delete
  2. Chair flying and going over flows/procedures with your sim partner is invaluable as well.

    ReplyDelete