Thursday, December 26, 2013

What Type of Pilot Will You Be?



What type of pilot are you, and what type of pilot do you want to become?  I'm not talking about the type of flying you want to do, but the type of a person you want to be.  The grumpy old man (who everybody dreads flying with) or the person who always finds something to smile about?  You need to decide that now, so start asking yourselves these questions.

Decide Now
I've been in aviation long enough to know how great it can be working with others who love aviation and their careers as much as I do.  I have also seen those who do it because "It pays the bills," or "I'm too old to change careers."  They do it out of obligation but have lost their love for the work.  They are miserable to work with- no matter what career you are in.

I've always felt that it's such a waste for a person to be in a career they don't love (or at least like) especially such a special career like aviation.  But maybe they've just forgotten why they loved it in the first place.   Maybe they could have a little attitude adjustment and find that enjoyment again?  There may have been other careers I could have pursued and been completely happy in, but in the beginning, I decided I would love every aviation job I got, no matter what it was.

People who say they will be happy once they begin flight instructing, or once they land their first corporate job, or when they finally get hired on at the Majors, will not be happy once they do make it there.  They will always feel like they need more to be happy.  These type of people are always looking for greener grass on the other side.  But the thing they don't realize is that they have to plant that grass and take care of it for it to grow green.  They have to go to work with a positive attitude and make the most of what they do have for the grass to grow green.  Lame analogy, I know, but it is true.  I believe you can make the best out of any job!

My first aviation job was in the Student Support Center (the aviation call center) at UVU.  Though that was not my dream job, I loved it.  I had to deal with angry students more often than not, but I went to work everyday knowing that I would be able to help others.  I would be able to help them love aviation as much as I do.  I decided to be happy in that job, and you know what?  I really was, even though it was a call center.

Now I don't mean to sound as though I am bragging, but I just know that if I can do it- if I can find enjoyment at work, you can too.  Change your attitude about the job you are in right now, and I am sure you will find more enjoyment doing the exact thing you are doing today.  Decide now to be happy at your job!

Don't Become a Debbie Downer
If you haven't heard this term before, its official definition is: a person who finds no joy ever, wants to bring everybody around them down, and will be miserable in any situation.  Do not become this type of person.  You will have to spend many hours in close proximity with others if you choose aviation as your career.  What do you want your boss/caption/first officer to say about you?  Do you want them to tell others how awful you were, or do you want them to brag to others about how great your 4-day trip was?  Hopefully, you chose the latter of the two.

Awesome People Make Work a Blast!
When I get to work with awesome people, I look forward to going to work because I know it won't feel like work.  I get to work with a ton of awesome people at my current airline job, and I love it!

After the miracle on the Hudson, pilots and co-workers who had interacted with Captain Sullenberger shared stories about him.  I remember one in particular because it exemplified who we should all try to become:

Captain Sullenberger and his crew had reached their destination, pulled to the gate, but there was no wheelchair assistance for one of the passengers.  Though I'm sure Captain Sullenberger was busy, he saw this stranded passenger, and instead of waiting for somebody else to help, he helped this passenger get into a wheelchair and safely to the terminal.  He didn't think twice about it.  Later he said (I'm not quoting by any means) I got her this far, I'm not going to leave her here now.  It takes a special person to help others like that, and that is what makes a great pilot.
Boeing 787 DreamLiner Art.jpg
photo courtesy of http://www.avionews.net

So with the New Year quickly approaching, and many of us setting new goals, decide now to have a great attitude about your work.  This will make your work more enjoyable and will make others look forward to having the opportunity to work with you.  Do not become a Debbie Downer, but be that person that others want to fly with.  Decide now to be a better version of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment